Thursday 15 December 2011

Have a break, have a Kit-Kat

It's easy for me to beat myself up until I am black and blue for getting nowhere. I chastise myself because I feel that by my age, this just isn't good enough. I should have done more, achieved more, seen more. I should have more.

Then I take a look around at other ladies in their mid-twenties. I might still be somehow winging it with nothing to show, but others are dealing with marriages falling apart, grappling with killer careers yet feeling lost and empty, or resentful of their screaming children and absent husbands. We all appear to be in some state of disrepair.

I've realised that this is totally okay, because life is all about learning and growing. Whoever wrote the book of rules on how people should live their lives at a certain age, you might want to swing me a copy otherwise I may never believe you. Oh yeah, I didn't think that it existed!

So why are we all so hard on ourselves?

I believe when we stop comparing ourselves to others and realign only with our own personal focus we will cease to worry that we don't live up to some imaginary measure of achievement. Those who have realised this are the ones who are comfortable with themselves and their lives. And their age. This is something I aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment