Tuesday 3 January 2012

Why 2011 was quietly awesome

2011 was definitely a mixed bag for me. There was a pivotal moment wherein after being unhappy for quite some time I made a seemingly snap decision to quit my life and move back to Bundaberg. Ultimately, it was the year that I finally found direction and learned a whole lot about myself (good, bad, and ugly). In a nutshell, a year of personal development. Perhaps a little too much navel gazing, yet my head is clearer for it.

My biggest breakthrough however, was overcoming my long-standing Arachnaphobia.

It is something that I have been working on for a few years now and it was amazing to at last have that break-through moment only quite recently, that moment when I realised that I am no longer phobic. I'll tell you that I am pretty darn chuffed with myself. And although it is something that was solely up to me to overcome, I couldn't have done it without the support of some key people in my life. Thank you.

It may not sound like a big deal but those close to me, or anyone who has or still lives with a phobia would understand why I count this as my biggest personal achievement yet.

It's true that I will always be afraid of spiders, but so are a lot of people.
I don't doubt that they may (well, will) still be an anxiety trigger for me, but I have a handle on it now.
I will never be entirely comfortable with our eight-legged friends, but I no longer let them call the shots.

I no longer see them when I close my eyes and I don't check tables and chairs before I take a seat.
Basically, it doesn't control my life anymore.

As I would say, "Go me!"
To beat something that has been a dark shadow for as long as I can remember is extremely liberating. If I did this, I can do anything. And I'll need this newfound strength and ability because that was just one yellow brick and I can tell you it's a long road.

No comments:

Post a Comment