Friday 30 September 2011

Pity me not, for I am different

I've been finding lately that other people struggle with the idea that one would choose to be single and see it as a lifestyle choice. This frustrates me no end. I know they mean well with their sympathetic yet condescending and unnecessary condolences, but I find it all quietly infuriating.

I may be alone, but please hear me loud and clear: I am certainly not registering for the lonely hearts club. Renee Zellweger's godawful portrayal of Bridget Jones is no yardstick, my friend.

It can be very difficult for some to accept that I do not crave relationships on that level. They wish for me to be happy like they are, but they cannot understand that I am happy like I am. I have a different mindset and emotional needs. It's a very personal and individual thing.

I have all the love that I require, and a rock solid emotional independence that can only come from kicking it on your own. It's an empowering kind of freedom and there is nothing quite like it!

2 comments:

  1. I feel that Mel, I'm in a relationship but I don't pity single people. Not that I wish I was single because I don't, I'm happy with my girlfriend, but when I was single I was happy too. People can do what they want, no one has a right to judge the life choices of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, babes! I feel the same - don't understand why some people see singledom as a bad thing...!!!

    ReplyDelete