Friday 25 April 2014

We were always at war with Eurasia

I have a question and you're not going to like it. I wish for it to be answered honestly and succinctly but I am too afraid to ask in fear of absolute and ruthless persecution, no matter how earnest my curiosity or how carefully I construct my query.



I mean not to denigrate those who fought for our freedom, I simply wish for these freedoms to be defined and to have explained in layman's terms how Australia being involved in a particular situation resulted in the way of life that we enjoy today. I throw a handful of variants of my simple question at Google to be given only the occasional article or blog post annihilating any left wing view the new wave anti-ANZACs apparently have. I scour these tidbits not because I resonate with either side of the story, but in an effort to seek out a well-rounded answer.

The word FREEDOM is so heavily bandied about and I find only evangelistic praise for past and present frontline efforts, with complete disregard to the why. What were we doing there? And what was it within these actions that gave us this FREEDOM?

Please do not assume that I am not moved by this chapter of our country's history and the tragic sacrifices that were made abroad and on our home soil, our men and all men. As a particularly hypersensitive human being, such sobering historical events are wracked with feelings of sadness and regret. This is why I cannot blindly buy into a culture I see to be subliminally breeding a war mentality, to stand up and salute this with stuff upper lip, no ifs or buts. I want us to learn from our past and make informed choices about so-called national security, to question what we are told is right and look to how we can do better in the face of what seems to be unrelenting international tension.

Call me naive. I am more than somewhat ignorant; but here I am, begging for an education that's all-encompassing and not a hot-headed lecture for being churlish. Should open minds entertain such a discussion it could become an interesting if not delicate debate. Both parties might walk away with a new as well as renewed respect for Australia's pyrrhic, pivotal first major encounter with war.

Title taken from George Orwell's 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment