Thursday 8 March 2012

Kony2012

I wanted to write a properly-penned opinion piece but after spending the better part of my day debating this prevalent media topic, I'm afraid I am now a little spent on Kony2012. As a result I have decided to summarize instead. Knowing me, this means that I will probably forget the strongest tent pegs when pitching any arguments and this certainly won't be my best work, however for whatever reason I just need to get it out tonight so blah blah blah here goes.

First and foremost, I am gobsmacked that so many people are genuinely shocked to learn of the political climate in Africa. I know it's not your usual glossy mainstream news, but surely our heads are not so deep in the sand? This whole thing is one messed up rock and hard place.

I'm going to admit it, I find it very difficult to support international intervention when it comes to civil war. Please don't get me wrong, I believe in human rights as much as those who are shaken by the video and outwardly voicing their disgust towards Kony and the LRA but at risk of being condemned as cold-hearted, I'm just not buying into it. Worthy cause and important issue? Absolutely. Is our compassion being exploited for political gain? In my opinion, yes.

If you wish to support this cause and rally against Kony, then by all means do so! I commend those who stand up for what they believe in whether it's in line with my own stance or not. I am not in any way, shape or form wishing to detract from your beliefs, play nay-sayer, or to criticise well-meaning intentions. This is merely an opinion, although I was sure to partake in a little research when I realised mine was shaping up to be seen as possibly controversial.

Kudos to Invisible Children for a brilliantly executed social media campaign. Kony2012 has taken up prime real estate of my thoughts and online discourse since last night so regardless of my standpoint, they still have me hook, line, and sinker.

I shall leave you with some light reading:

http://www.africa.ufl.edu/asq/v12/v12i3a2.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I think people get carried away with self-centered feelings of wanting to mean something without actually forming an intelligent dialogue. Africa is messed up, we all know that and it's no secret but Invisible Children push for a military intervention. If you want examples of why that doesn't work you don't have to look far: Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq. IC fund weapons for the Ugandan army, no doubt some of those fall into the hands of the LRA but more importantly it only escalates matters. The situation is way more complicated than the KONY2012 video explains and people need to educate themselves rather than jumping on bandwagons.

    I'm all for stopping child trafficking and poverty and all the things that plague Africa but I'm still waiting for a reasonable solution to be put on the table. All the more reason for us to appreciate the freedom we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Matt, this is a complex issue which some will no doubt profit from and others already are. My word of caution, is Invisible Children spending donated money on arming the military and educating the western world really the best way to spend the millions they receive ? Hearing Jason Russell speak on the Kyle & Jackie O show made him sound like a hero with good intentions but limited ability.

    ReplyDelete